Your grade in BI301 is based on seven components as follows:
(1) Midterm exam 25%
(2) Quizzes 32% (there will be 5 quizzes, I will drop the lowest one, so the four that you keep are each "worth" 8% of your grade).
(3) "Participation/Communication" 2% (Contact with me, our TA, or the class via e-mail; talking to our TA or me on the telephone or coming to office hours [see "Communications"]).
(4) Two brief, informal writing assignments -- 5% (3% for 25-word article summary, 2% for haiku; see syllabus for a brief description of these assignments, with more to come in class)
(5) Resource use reduction project -- 2% (see syllabus for a brief description of this project, with more to come in class)
(6) Paragraph on outside activity -- 4% (see syllabus for a brief description, more to come in class)
(6) Final exam 30%
Dates for exams, quizzes, and other assignments are given in the syllabus .
My "philosophy" and approach to exams and quizzes is described in the section on exams. That section also includes sample exams and keys, which contain links to portions of the web notes where the topic was first, or primarily, discussed. Click on whichever you want to see: midterm, midterm key, final exam, or final exam key.
The importance of communication with me and/or the class, and some means to do so, are described in the Communications section of this site.
I do use + and - grading. In the past, students who earn 90% or more of the possible points received "A's" with A- being used for scores in the 88-89% range (depending on the year); students who scored 87-88% received B+'s, those between 80 and 86% B's and so forth. I can't make any guarantees until I see the final distribution of scores, however!
To return to the master Table of Contents for the BI301 home page, click the "CONTENTS" box at the bottom of this page. For additional information on navigating within and among these documents, click "Navigate" here.
This page is maintained by Patricia Muir at Oregon State University. For questions or comments, send e-mail to (email@example.com) . Page last updated Oct. 18, 2013.