Past Issues: MarcEdit 4.1
Please see: http://www.onid.orst.edu/~reeset/marcedit/upgrade/sp1.rtf
for a complete list of known issues with MarcEdit 4.1. These issues
have been resolved as of the release of MarcEdit SP1.
Date:11/14/2002 Issue: Bug
When trying to replace a text with nothing or a space with the replace
command in the MarcEditor, the program can become unstable and crash.
This issue is resolved using the following patch: marcedit_fix_11_1_2002.zip.
For installation instructions, please see the downloads page or
the readme file within the zip.
Past Issues: MarcEdit 3.9
Date: May 4, 2002
Description: When upgrading from previous versions of MarcEdit,
a very small number (I've only had three reports) of individuals
are reporting that they are receiving the following error: Active
X object could not be created. The problem is that a particular
library file has become unassociated during the installation process.
Why does this infrequently happen? The problem is related to the
setup program that was previously in use. In previous versions of
MarcEdit, I used a freely available Microsoft installer to create
and distribute applications. However, overtime, my needs increased,
and I had to purchase a commercial installation application. This
particular problem seems to be related to this switch.
Solution:: The temporary solution, if you get this error,
is to uninstall the application completely, and then delete the
c:\program files\marcedit (or whatever directly you installed MarcEdit
to) directory--then reinstall. On each of the three reported cases,
this fixed the error. For future versions, this setup error will
Date: February 21, 2002
Description: I was made aware yesterday of a subtle bug in
MarcEdit that I wanted to make folks aware of. When running the
MARC Tools, if one makes the destination path a directory rather
then a file, all files within that directory will be deleted. The
reason for this is that MarcEdit must clean up previous files before
creating the new destination file, so if one already exists, it
must be deleted. The problem occurs when a directory, but not a
file is used because Window's FindFirstFile API will not return
an error, but rather the name of every file in the directory. I
have verified this problem, and have fixed it for the next release
of MarcEdit scheduled for sometime in late April to mid May.
Date: October 25, 2001
Description: When replacing specific subfield data, the add
field function would delete all affected subfield markers, leaving
the delimiters and field text. This issue was fixed as of build
Date: October 11, 2001
Description: Well, I found my first bug. To recreate the
bug, simply click on File/Open in the MarcEditor and then click
cancel. In version 3.9.196 and less, this will crash the application.
However, if you select a file to open, or clear the "untitled" in
the Open dialog the application will function properly. Though annoying,
this bug does not affect the overall functionality of the application.
However, this issue has been identified, fixed, should not be a
problem for anyone that downloads the current version of the application.
If you had downloaded a copy of MarcEdit 3.9+, and are not sure
if this issue effects you, either try to recreate the issue, or
check the about box. If your version number is 3.9.199 or greater,
this problem does not effect you. However, if you are affected by
this problem, simply download the current version of the program.
For more information, see one of the following topics:
- Technical Details -- System Requirements, Development cycle, etc...
- Downloads -- Download new versions, patches, etc. of (for) MarcEdit.