Every ship has a builder. This Great Voyages web site does as well.
The master of this web site wishes to heartily thank the builders.
This Great Voyages web site project began in June 1995 under
the auspices of a grant from Joy Hughes, the Vice Provost for
Information Services at Oregon State University. It was created
by a team of wonderful people.
- Jon Dorbolo, Research Assistant Professor in Philosophy,
offered an inspirational model and much good advice before,
during and after a series of summer seminars about the design and
use of web sites which were organized by Norma Nielson and funded
by the Vice Provost for Information Services.
- Patti Hoagland and Bill Lanham, graphic artists at the
Communications Media Center helped in the design of the web site
and Patti Hoagland created the graphics.
- Trevor Murphy of the Faculty Development Lab at the
Communications Media Center, along with his partner Greg Klein
helped with many aspects of the site, including image maps,
readability, scanning of images, and over all design.
- John Sechrest, (the Wizard) executive director of the computer
science outreach service, provided much excellent advice, both technical
- Richard Mallery and Susan Prock created most of the time
lines of philosophers. Their work was made possible by grants
from the OSU Philosophy Department and the Difference,
Power and Discrimination Program respectively.
- Mark Dinsmore installed a Glimpse search engine allowing for
electronic exploration of many texts of the era, Summer 1996.
--Bill Uzgalis, Webmaster