Chapter 1 ~ Introductions
⬆ Shiftrefresh Shift-Refresh this page to see the most up-to-date instructions.
OSU's College of Engineering is pleased to welcome you to Applications and Implications of Computers, a course where you will read about technological advances and learn to use your computer software better, to further your studies and increase career opportunities.
Start the following activities on the first day; the first discussion is due on Tuesday. The second is due on Sunday. Expect to spend at least 4 hours completing objectives for this chapter.
To get started, click the + headings below. Complete each lesson then move on to the next lesson. General deadlines are listed in the Canvas course Home page, Assignment list, Coming Up list, and Calendar.
Get familiar with this textbook
1.1 Use multiple tabs.
Set up multiple tabs in a window to reduce the time you spend looking for those sites. Switch between tabs with CtrlTab keys on a Windows machine and ⌘Option→ keys on a Mac.
Keeping too many browser tabs and extensions active will slow down your machine. Read How to Stop Web Browsers from Slowing Down Your Computer
1.2 Learn about this textbook.
- Click the person_pin Instructor button, which launches the Canvas Inbox.
- Click the button to launch a chat session with a librarian. This service is available 24/7.
- Click the homeHome button to read the Introduction and Logistics.
- Click the info Syllabus button and read it thoroughly.
- Click the Canvas button to learn new Canvas skills.
- Click the library_booksChapter buttons to work on each week/module's requirements.
- This week's objectives lists the major lessons of the chapter and allow you to jump down to them.
- Red messages are...important; read them. ;-)
- + Orange headlines can be opened to reveal blue numbered lessons and closed to shorten the content for scrolling and printing.
1.3 Follow your platform's instructions.
So that you can complete this course with whatever platform and applications you have available, instructions for all Google and Microsoft applications will be provided side-by-side. Your platform is color coded and labeled with the corresponding logo so you can ignore the other platforms' instructions.
- Microsoft Office instructions will be labeled with the Windows logo, or product logo, and blue.
- Google Chromebook instructions will be labeled with the Chrome logo, or product logo, and gray.
- Apple instructions for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote applications are no longer provided in this course. Use them only if you have experience and can correlate Google or Microsoft instructions to those other applications. Be aware that not all required functions are available in those applications.
1.4 Learn about the OSU Valley Library menu.
- Login to VPN before trying to access library databases and journals.
- Setting up VPN for Windows
- Setting up VPN for MacOS
- Login to the library to locate journal articles for discussions and projects.
1.5 Use the Service Desk if you have computer, ONID, or Canvas problems.