I recently earned my doctoral degree in the Botany and Plant Pathology department at Oregon State University, working in the lab of Aaron Liston. I work on genomics and population genetics, specifically in plants called milkweeds or Asclepias. You can see some of that progress at the Milkweed Genome Project.
I'm currently a bioinformatics analyst and e-trainer at OSU's Center for Genome Research and Biocomputing (CGRB). In this position I collaborate with researchers from the OSU community and beyond, assisting with experimental design for sequencing projects (Illumina, PacBio, & other DNA detection techniques) and performing analyses on the resulting data.
As a bioinformatics e-trainer I assist with the CGRB's mission to provide training opportunities in computational and bioinformatic techniques, particularly by expanding those offerings beyond OSU's Corvallis campus. I currently offer an online workshop introducing the R statistical computing language, Introduction to R and RStudio.
September 14, 2017
Two chapters from my dissertation are currently being prepared for publication: One characterizes the nuclear genome of the common milkweed, Asclepias syriaca; you can find a preprint of that study here. The other study uses population genomic techniques to study the jewel milkweed, Asclepias cryptoceras, and its two subspecies spread across the Intermountain West. You can access my dissertation here to read more about those studies.
- Livshultz T, E Kaltenegger, SCK Straub, K Weitemier, E Hirsch, K Koval, L Mema, A Liston. 2018. Evolution of pyrrolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis in Apocynaceae: revisiting the defence de-escalation hypothesis. New Phytologist. 218(2):762-773. doi:10.1111/nph.15061
- Schmickl R, A Liston, V Zeisek, K Oberlander, K Weitemier, SCK Straub, RC Cronn, LL Dreyer, J Suda. 2016. Phylogenetic marker development for target enrichment from transcriptome and genome skim data: the pipeline and its application in southern African Oxalis (Oxalidaceae). Molecular Ecology Resources. 16(5):1124-1135. doi:10.1111/1755-0998.12487
- Weitemier K, SCK Straub, M Fishbein, A Liston. 2015. Intragenomic polymorphisms among high-copy loci: A genus-wide study of nuclear ribosomal DNA in Asclepias (Apocynaceae). PeerJ 2:e718. doi:10.7717/peerj.718
- Weitemier K, SCK Straub, RC Cronn, M Fishbein, R Schmickl, A McDonnell, A Liston. 2014. Hyb-Seq: Combining target enrichment and genome skimming for plant phylogenomics. Applications in Plant Science 2(9):1400042. doi:10.3732/apps.1400042
- Straub SCK, M Parks, K Weitemier, M Fishbein, RC Cronn, A Liston. 2012. Navigating the tip of the genomic iceberg: Next-generation sequencing for plant systematics. American Journal of Botany 99(2):349-364. doi:10.3732/ajb.1100335
- Straub SCK, M Fishbein, T Livschultz, Z Foster, M Parks, K Weitemier, RC Cronn, A Liston. 2011. Building a model: Developing genomic resources for common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) with low coverage genome sequencing. BMC Genomics 12:211. doi:10.1186/1471-2164-12-211
- Kelso S, P Beardsley, K Weitemier. 2009. Phylogeny and biogeography of Primula sect. Parryi (Primulaceae). International Journal of Plant Sciences 170(1):93-106. doi:10.1086/593041